Website & Custom System
Ursula Franklin Academy (UFA) High School is a specialized program part of the Toronto District School Board (TDSB). TDSB is the English-language public-secular school board for Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Its headquarters is in North York. The TDSB is Canada’s largest school board and the fourth largest school board in North America.
UFA is the only school in North America that offers a unique learning platform known as the Wednesday Enrichment Program.
Wednesday Enrichment Program (WEP)
Throughout the year, students take a variety of mini-courses that run on Wednesdays. Each unit lasts for approximately 4 weeks, and students take 4 courses per unit. Students are responsible for choosing courses from three general curricular areas: Community Building, Connected Knowledge, and Healthy and Active Living. A student’s achievement in his or her Wednesday session is averaged out and constitutes ten percent of their regular marks in the first two terms and seven percent in the final term.
The principal of UFA had a vision to enhance WEP even further by utilizing web technology by creating an immersive online portal that would allow students and faculty to create and facilitate course sessions.
The online portal would accomplish the following:
- Create a mobile version of the portal since over 35% of students conduct their WEP tasks via smartphone
- Improve the session creation process for students
- Create a reward system based on student marks, accomplishments, and participation
- Allow students to download WEP transcripts for undergraduate admission
- Allow teachers to review student progress and course locations
- Allow teachers to organize student distribution in sessions
- Allow teachers more time and effort to focus on students by tremendously reducing program administration
The new online portal was highly regarded by the stakeholders. The engagement and time spent on the site improved significantly for both students and faculty. The number of sessions created within the first month reached close to 5,000.